Department of Sports and Exercise Medicine
"Take sports medicine out of the realm of the elite athlete and place it fairly and squarely where it belongs-as a super specialty to serve anyone in the community who wishes to be active." - Prof. R Sutton; Professor of Medicine and Exercise Physiology and Sports Medicine.
If you are looking for the best bone care hospitals in Bangalore, a newly developed clinic, one of its kinds in India is run by multi-disciplinary practitioners from all fields. The department offers a range of services for all, not only for the athlete, but also those who want to achieve better health and prevent injury. We have a range of services available to cater to each patient's needs and all staff members are highly trained to recognise what best suits each individual case.
Manual Medicine: Sports Medicine consultant, Bio - mechanist, Exercise Physiologist, Physiotherapist, Podiatrists and Massage Therapist at our department specialise in musculo-skeletal medicine and use a holistic approach to treatment. A detailed case history and musculo-skeletal examination is conducted before commencing with any form of treatment. The treatment comprises of hands-on therapy, as well as a thorough discussion with the therapist on the long term management for the presenting complaint.
- Documentation Based Care (DBC): Neck & Back pain is the most common musculo-skeletal complaint in patients, and is often related to muscular imbalance or poor spinal joint movement. The DBC programme is aimed specifically at increasing spinal muscle strength, restoring muscular balance and optimising spinal range of motion in all directions, throughout the body. Specially trained staff is present during the session to guide you throughout.
- Preventive Strength Conditioning (PSC): The PSC is a high intensity strength training programme, which uses specific weight machines targeting isolated muscles. All patients are assessed before entering the programme where a specific strength programme is designed to suit your circumstances. Staff members supervise you throughout the sessions to ensure that the correct technique and weight is being used.
- Musculoskeletal Assessment & Treatment (Primus): Primus Rs is a multi-joint testing and exercise machine where sports specific tools can be added to optimise training specifically for each sport. Its ability to target both small and large joints makes the machine essential for optimising sports specific training. Get a scientific analysis of muscle strength, muscle imbalance & power of any movement in any sport
- Gait Analysis and Orthotic Prescription: Videoed gait analysis is used as a form of assessment. Patients will be required to walk/or run on the treadmill and see for themselves where their gait is faulty. Depending on your circumstances, customised orthotics can be prescribed by our specialist.
- GO2 Altitude: It uses intermittent hypoxic training which allows the body to train at low levels of oxygen. It aims in improving endurance, enhancing fitness, improving cardiovascular performance and well-being.
- Computerised 3D Analysis of the Golf Swing: Many people think that the golf swing is only about hitting the ball towards a hole. However, the swing requires optimum function of the body as a whole, from the head to the feet. 3D-computerised analysis of the golf swing provides us with precise detail on faulty swings. Biomechanical analysis of your movement, balance & co-ordination will help to better your swing and prevent further injury.
- Vibrogym: It works on stimulating the contraction of muscles by sending high frequency vibrations to the muscle. It has been shown to increase muscle strength, improve flexibility and coordination.
- Frozen Shoulder
Sports Massage: This form of sport massage is based on Swedish massage. It is designed to target specific muscular - tension tightness in order to relieve painful symptoms and common over-stressed tissue.
Nutrition: Nutrition is one of the key components to combat obesity, enhance health, fitness and performance. There is no one 'miracle food or supplement' that can enhance performance. The key lies in understanding your body requirements of macro and micro nutrients. This is assisted by testing a person's resting metabolic rate and body composition analysis. This is followed by providing a personalised diet plan and therapeutic modification of the diet if needed.